We say were the generation of change. Change in technology, change in communication, change in just about everywhere we can think of. That's what the media wants us to see; there are changes in style, and changes in music. There's change everywhere, but at the same time there's barely any change happening.
In my leadership class we had one of the head directors of education come in and talk to us about what leadership is, as students went around and said what they thought characteristics of leadership were, he nodded his head in approval. He then said to my class, "Have you heard the saying that you are the people of tomorrow? Well in reality, you are the people of the today and now".
Many of my classmates stopped and listened and it sunk in, that we are the era of change, but for us to be the era of change; we still have to go through older people, like him to change things, and sometimes these people aren't always that cooperative.
I wanted to, if I could ask this man, who seemed more then influenced to help change the schools he helped oversee; if you want change so bad, then why don't you start where change needs to happen the most? Change always happens in the classroom, with the new textbooks, new curriculums, new teachers; all meant for the change for the better, but there's always one place which seems to be forgotten.
"You guys get a diploma, I get a little certificate"
My friend told me this, and who was the person who answered, and what was the discussion about? My friend asked another one of our close friends whose in my schools "D.C." class, if she liked being in the class and she said "No" , and that she much rather be in what are considered "Regular" school credit classes. This friend of mine doesn't receive credits like me, or any other student who attends school every day. (Hence the reason for the "Certificate" and no diploma) which makes me wonder. . .
"If a student is fully capable of being able to attend a class without an E.A, Why can't they be in regular classes?"
The fact that members of my generation "The Change" generation, are sick of the way their treated, when it comes to some developmental programs at the school. Not saying that these programs don't do good work, just saying that things have been run there to gnerically for too long.
"So why is it in 2010, kids are still segregated because of their disabilities?"
This is a question that still boggles my mind. The fact they get made fun of because they "look" or "dress" differently from the rest of the high school community, doesn't mean they don't have feelings. They can hear when other students laug at them, and when kids point and call them names; sure they'll deflect it, and make it look like it's not bugging them, but in reality ther ARE JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, who doens't like it when people call them names. The fact that kids think that "D.C." stands for "Demented Children" really hits that nerve of pure disgust in my body. The fact that kids laugh at the boy I work with who has a form of autism, which affects his communcation skills; is one of the happiest kids I know. He is usually smiling and very rarely has a bad day; he is always more than willing to help out in whatever way he could.
When I was walking down the hall at school and heard him I turned around to give him a smile, just in time to see a group of kids turn around. . . and laugh. Sure he makes noises and yells, but that's his way of being like, "Hey I'm here, I'm happy". Why these kids laughed, make me sick. They just don't understand, and the change hasn't happened to make them understand.
This boy I work with, Alex Alves; even though he can't hold a conversations like me or anyone else could, has feelings, he gets hurt. He knows when someone is making fun of him, and just like anyone else his feelings get hurt.
A prime example of this?
As soon as those kids laugh at him, he got upset.
So if I ever could sit down with the man who walked into my leadership class, what I would want to ask him is...
"Whis is it that, thes kids have to be "trailed around" by their teachers?"
WHY CAN'T THESE KIDS JUST BE KIDS?
If the men and women above us always tell us to "Be the change" and "Carpe Diem" (Sieze the day), how can we be able to attain that when they always stop us and say, "Oh that's not possible". Or come up with some other clever excuses to discourage the change,
"It'll take to much time out of classes, and can't be done"
Excuse me, Board of Education workers? How can we be able to do what you keep telling us to do when you keep coming up with excuses to stop us?
Look, there's many kids who believe in this change, your just the ones stopping us
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

oh Steph....thanks so much for writing this...brings tears to my eyes...thanks for caring about Alex and his feelings!
ReplyDeleteyou've given this some thought Stephanie
ReplyDeletegreat blog
It's amazing to think that before meeting Becky and her family I was as unaware as those people in the hall. I now wonder if they even know any of their names or would even care to. Amazing blog Steph and I'm proud to know you!
ReplyDelete